in Shipping Management
MBA in Shipping Management
Through MBA in Shipping Management students will extend their systematic understanding of the shipping business together with a critical awareness of current problems and/or research at the forefront of their chosen subject areas; enhance their intellectual, transferable and interpersonal skills as well as developing other postgraduate skills including independent research, the exercise of initiative and critical awareness of current problems; additionally, improve their prospects of professional, commercial, business or academic employment.
There is a great demand in the Maritime sector as the whole maritime cluster is still one of the most evolving and demanding sectors in Greece. The international shipping industry is responsible for transporting around 90% of world trade. Shipping by the sea is the life blood of the global economy.
Since more than 90% of all goods are carried by sea, the maritime industry is obliged to comply with national and international regulations over safety, cargoes and human security as well as with environmental concerns aimed at avoiding costly natural disasters. This means that their managers must have the ability to understand and cope with different economic, legal, financial, regulatory and political environments and deal with them as efficiently and effectively as possible. The Greek maritime cluster currently covers a range of fields such as legal services, banking, finance, auditing, accounting, insurance, ship building, employment issues and as such highlights the need and demand for an in-depth knowledge in those fields. MBA in Shipping Management aims at providing students with this wide-scope knowledge in order for them to be able to perform in such a competitive sector. With its industry-oriented and multi-field approach, this programme will equip graduates with the necessary skills to be able to easily find employment. The whole learning experience provided during their student life at IST College will make them employable into a sector of the Greek economy that, as mentioned above, is not confined to just shipping companies.
In fact, according to articles published, in Europe the shipping industry provides 615.000 direct employment positions and 516.000 indirect employment positions out of which 190.000 are in Greece.
The postgraduate program offered at IST College includes courses based on different disciplines that provide the students with vital insights and a multidimensional, practical view that would allow them a successful carrier in the maritime shipping industry first as managers and later as executives.
The purpose of the program, in addition to teaching its students about all aspects of the shipping industry, is to enable the students to understand the shipping industry in depth, the problems it is facing as well as the availing opportunities. The ultimate aim of the program is to equip its graduates with the necessary skills and experience, not just knowledge, for a fruitful career in this unique multi billion dollars industry. In addition to the teaching students will have the opportunity to participate in guest lecturers throughout the program.
νομικές υπηρεσίες, τραπεζικές, χρηματοοικονομικές, ελεγκτικές, λογιστικές, ασφαλιστικές, ναυπηγικές, θέματα απασχόλησης και ως εκ τούτου υπογραμμίζει την ανάγκη και τη ζήτηση για μια εις βάθος γνώση σε αυτούς τους τομείς.
Knowledge & Skills
This programme is designed in such a way as to provide students with the opportunity:
- To foster skills in the analysis of shipping related issues and to derive and implement effective responses to those issues.
- To develop an understanding of the problems and the necessary skills required in planning and implementing solutions in different situations also by showing self-direction and originality in tackling and solving the problems at hand.
- To show an ability to systematically and critically evaluate as well as provide their own original thoughts in the research and the operation of shipping management
- To demonstrate originality in the application of knowledge to complex and unpredictable situations and an ability to synthesise.
- To demonstrate an ability to formulate new ideas based on information that they have independently collated and critically evaluated.
- To exercise initiative and personal responsibility as well as demonstrate an ability to make decisions; and
- To demonstrate self-direction and act autonomously in planning, prioritizing, and implementing tasks.
The MBA in Shipping Management is designed to provide an opportunity for students to develop their knowledge in established and rapidly developing areas of shipping. This programme is geared to the needs of practice and open up excellent career opportunities. Our graduates have a solid basis in management and are quickly in a position to respond to professional change.